The Scandinavian Association for Language and Cognition (SALC) was formed on June 11 2009 during the Second International Conference of the Swedish Association for Language and Cognition, held at Stockholm University involving linguists, psychologists, cognitive scientists and semioticians, working on a variety of topics and utilising different methodologies.
The major goal of the association is to promote the study of the relationship between language and cognition. This involves any type of research in which language is not treated in isolation (e.g. as a “module”), but both as based on structures and processes of general cognition and social cognition, and as affecting such structures and processes. The association is intended to be a forum for cooperation and exchange of ideas between disciplines, fields of study and theoretical frameworks.
The SALC committee is pleased to announce the winner of the SALC7 best student paper prize: Julia Egger, PhD student at the Max Planck Institute in Nijmegen. Julia won the prize for her paper on “Linking Dutch infants’ speed of processing to vocabulary size at 18 months”. Congratulations Julia!
Two of the other nominated student papers received an honorary mention:
- Thomas Müller: “Color terms: Natural language categories and artificial language category formation”
- Roberta Rocca: “The neural correlates of spatial deictics: A fast fMRI study using naturalistic auditory stimuli”
The SALC7 conference
was held at Aarhus University May 22-24 2019. The conference had 4 parallel sessions and more than 80 paper presentations. Seven of these presentations were nominated for the SALC7 best student paper prize. The winner received a book prize from the conference sponsor Benjamins.
The program allows our members get a discount of 20% and free shipping on all linguistics titles published by Routledge. The details are as follows:
• The discount is 20% on all titles and FREE shipping
• To take advantage of the discount, you need to enter the discount code SALC9 when you reach the checkout (the code is valid until December 31, 2019)
Denmark in May has a lot to offer: aspargus, spring feeling and two top language conferences in a row! If you come to Denmark in May 2019, you can both attend SALC7 (on Language and Cognition) and NordAnd 14 (on Nordic Languages as a Second Language).
SALC7 will take place in Aarhus May 22-24 2019.
NordAnd 14 will take place in Copenhagen May 27-29 2019.
The deadline for abstract submission for both conferences is December 1st 2018.
We look forward to seeing you at SALC VII at Aarhus University in Denmark (May 22-24 2019).
SALC VII First Call For Papers has been announced
- Morten Christiansen, Cornell University, Ithaca
- Judith Holler, Max Planck Institute, Nijmegen
- Sean Roberts, University of Bristol, UK
- Sophie Schott, UCL, London
- Alexander Huth, University of Texas, Austin
- Ewa Dabrowska, University of Birmingham, UK
- Theme session proposal deadline: November 1st 2018
- Submission deadline for oral presentations and posters: December 1st 2018
- Deadline for early registration: April 1st 2019
- Conference: May 22nd-24th 2019
See the conference web page for more information: http://events.au.dk/SALC7
The next SALC conference will be held Lund, Sweden, April 20-22 2017. Register for SALC6! Early registration ends 31st of January 2017.